Monday, March 26, 2012

Sick and Tired

One of the things we say in Mary Kay is "if you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, then you need to make a change."

I'm not sure why this hadn't clicked in my head regarding my weight loss and health until this weekend.  I am sick and tired of literally being sick and tired.  It's time to make a change.  Apparently all those earlier posts about losing it how you want to live it and living a life of congruence weren't enough to get me to change.  I "committed" to cutting back on/cutting out processed foods, I celebrated being binge free, I've even talked myself out of binges.  None of these things have stuck.

Yes, folks, that's right.  I am confessing to you that I have binged over the last month.  The exact number of times is unknown, but it is certainly more than once.  The most recent occurrence being just yesterday afternoon.  Not only have I been binging, but I have been having a torrid affair with all my local fast food joints.  Yesterday, I not only decided on Burger King for lunch (with both fries and onion rings to accompany my sandwich and unbelievably "medium" Coke), but then I decided I was still "hungry."  I think I wanted dessert, but having none in the house, I resorted to compiling some leftovers and chowing down.  Now, those leftovers would have been a great healthy meal at any other time, but immediately following fast food... unnecessary! 

So I ate myself into a coma, napped for a few hours until I forced myself to get up and make some business calls before Hamad showed up to make me dinner.   He made a fantastic dinner, but I was still so full from "lunch."  I ate it anyway.

I am completely over feeling sluggish and low on energy.  I'm completely over huffing and puffing after minimal movement.  I'm completely over saying I'm at my highest weight every, only to exceed that weight by another few pounds in the following weeks.  I'm experiencing health issues I've never experienced before, and I can only attribute it to my extra weight, my lack of self-control, and my raunchy trysts with fried "chicken" sandwiches and unnaturally large buckets of French fries.

I'm not treating my body the way I should.  I'm not loving my body the way I should.  I'm not loving myself the way I should.  But that all ends today.

I've previously mentioned reading The Fat Fallacy by Dr. Will Clower and how it changed my perspective on food.  I read his other book, The French Don't Diet Plan and have signed up for his PATH curriculum.  Both are intended to help you retrain your body and apply the Mediterranean lifestyle to a typical American life.  Though I signed up for the PATH curriculum a few weeks ago, I am declaring today Week 1, Day 1.

In short, the general principles are as follow:
  • Eat real food (or, Eat food, not food product.)
  • Eat small.  Mind your portions.
  • Eat slow.  Savor your food.
  • Stop eating when you are satisfied, even if there is food still on your plate.
  • Enjoy an ender at the end of your meal to signify the meal is over.
  • Only snack between meals when absolutely necessary.
  • Be more active in ways you enjoy.
  • Take time to de-stress.
I am committing to posting daily at least for the first week.  This first week will be tough as I retrain myself away from binging, away from fast food, and focus on healthy REAL foods.  


Here's my starting point:

Weight: 203.2
Bust: fullest point: 43, under arms: 36
Wasit: 34
Hips: 47
(Waist to Hip ratio: .72)
Neck: 12
Right Thigh: 27
BMI: 35.99 (Severely Obese - yikes!)

The pictures taken at a conference this weekend were the ones that made me "Oh my goodness! Do I really look like that?"  Once I find my USB cable, I shall upload one as a starting point... if I'm feeling particularly brave.

1 comment:

  1. Just take it one step at a time, I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete