Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Year of Congruence

Last week I had the privilege to attend a woman's networking event with a panel of women leaders.  The topic was "Ways to Leadership."  There were a lot of interesting things and topics discussed, but there was one that really, really, struck me.

One of the speakers started talking about how every year she chooses a word to represent that year.  She reflects on the previous year, assesses if anything was missing or needed more attention, and decides her word for the current year. 

Naturally, I decided to reflect on 2011.  It was the year of setting and missing goals.  I wanted to lose weight, but instead I became a secret binge eater.  I wanted to build my business, but I lacked the consistent action necessary to achieve that.  Those were pretty much my two main goals.  I realized, however, that if an outsider were to look at my actions on any average day of 2011, they would not have been able to determine what goals I was trying to achieve. 

In short, my actions were not congruent with goals.  So my word for 2012 is congruence.  I want my actions on any average day to indicate the goals I am working toward. 

If you had to come up with a word for this year, what would it be?


No comments:

Post a Comment