Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 1 in Review

I committed to posting daily during this first week on the Mediterranean "diet."

Day 1 went okay.
Breakfast and lunch went well.   I also made sure to walk instead of taking the subway between the bus station and the office.  The problem was after work.  Mondays are tough because I work my day job in the city, go home for a super short amount of time, and then run off to my Mary Kay meeting.  Instead of having a proper dinner last night, I munched on some tortilla chips and then finished them off in the car.  So not French-like!  When I got home, I was totally not hungry, but by 11 o'clock I wanted food.  Not sure if it was legit hunger or what, but I ate instead of going to bed.  Oh well, it's a process.  And it's a new day!

So what did I eat? 
Breakfast - Greek yogurt with a touch of fruit preserves and Kashi shredded wheat biscuits, banana, coffee w/ 1/2 package sugar and some whole milk

Lunch - creamy tomato soup with pasta and meatballs (from local soup place - 90% certain this was made without faux food), slice of 7 grain bread, fruit salad

Snack 1 - tortilla chips with sour cream, 3 portions, from 6:45 to 7:15, 285 minutes since last meal

Snack 2 - 2 bowls of Kashi Island Vanilla shredded wheat biscuits with milk


Dr. Clower recommends gauging and monitoring your sweet tooth.  He touts that following the Mediterranean lifestyle will naturally diminish your sweet tooth as you cut out a lot of processed sugars.  Honestly, I have a huge sweet tooth and I find this hard to believe.  But I will play along just to see.  They way it works is you have 5 cups.  You fill each about 2/3 of the way with water.  Leave one just water, and into others mix in corn syrup or sugar: 1/2 Tbsp, 1 Tbsp, 2 Tbsp, and 3 Tbsp.  Then you take a sip of each, neutralizing the palette with plain water between each taste.  Record on a scale of 1-10 how sweet each cup is.   If a cup is intolerable, mark an X instead of a number.  He recommends doing this daily for the first week and weekly thereafter.  I, however, forgot to do it last night, so I will try this out tonight, Day 2, and update you all tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment