Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Prodigal Weight Watcher Has Returned

Yep, that's right.  I have resumed my role as perpetual point-counter.

But I thought you didn't want to count points forever?   
I thought you were all about eating real foods?

Both of those still apply.  Here's what I realized:

  1. I can eat real foods and still follow Weight Watchers.  (I know, this absolutely crazy, right?)
  2. I don't have to count points forever.  I do have to count points for now.  Because I was enjoying all those real foods, but a little too much.  "I can eat it because it's food" became too common a phrase in my head.  Yes, I can eat it.  No, I can't eat all of it.  Counting points will help me keep those portion sizes in check until I learn to really listen to my hunger signals.  Not just acknowledge them, but actually hear them and respond appropriately.
Here's what happened:  I turned 28.  Really, that was the catalyst.  I just didn't want to go through another year of my life feeling sick, lacking energy, having inflamed joints, being chronically out of breath, and hating what I saw in the mirror.  So it was time for a serious conversation with myself.  It came down to this:
I keep saying I'm going to do x, y, and z.  I keep not doing neither x, nor y, nor z.  Something has got to change.  Maybe I really do need the help of Weight Watchers.  Something to give me more accountability.  But how will this time be different from the others?

How will this time be different than the others?  That really is the most important question.  I decided to rejoin meetings instead of doing it online.  But I didn't join just any meetings, as I have before.  I have a friend who is a Weight Watchers leader and I decided to join her meetings.

So on Saturday April 21st, after one final birthday celebration that resulted in just a bit too much booze, I dragged myself out of bed at 7:30 in the morning.  I got myself ready and, despite the fact that there's a Weight Watchers center within walking distance of my apartment, I drove half an hour so I could specifically attend M's meeting.

I weighed in at *gulp* 211.2 lbs.

This gives me a 5% goal of 200.2 lbs and a 10% goal of 190.2 lbs.
My healthy weight range is 113-141.  I think I'll aim for somewhere around 135, but I'm not sure yet.

As of my first weigh in this past Saturday (the 28th), I was down 2.6 lbs!  Color me excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment