Monday, May 14, 2012

C25K: Week 1, Day 1

I did it!


I've only been saying for, oh, forever that I was going to get up early and workout.  (Where early equals 5:15 am.)  And for, oh, forever, my morning has looked like this:

5:15 grumble as alarm goes off
5:20 cat's crying obnoxiously, get up and feed cats
5:22 climb back into bed and settle in for another hour of sleep, set new alarm for 6:30
6:30 phone alarm vibrates - hit snooze
6:40 snooze again
6:50 snooze "just one more time"
7:00 "Ugh, I'm so tired but I need to get ready for work!"
7:05-7:10 force self out of bed and into shower, end up late for work

Not anymore.  I started seeing a chiropractor about a week ago.  I've had only 3 adjustments so far, but immediately after my second, I noticed something that had previously seemed unfathomable: I woke up well-rested! Okay, so well-rested just once, that's fine.  But it continued.  It's now been 5 well-rested wake-ups in a row.  I'm utterly amazed.

And delighted, because it means when my alarm went off at 5:15 I was awake enough to actually stay out of bed.  So I completed Day 3 of The Beck Diet Solution and then I started Couch to 5K.  In case you're unfamiliar with C25K, the idea is to ease you into running by alternating walking and jogging, until you build up to the point where you can run for 30 minutes, or a 5K, straight.  I'm completely proud of myself for starting!  But I didn't quite fit in all the jogging.  My asthma started up a little bit (not awful, just a little wheezing) and I clearly didn't stretch enough.  I still did the jogging portions, just not necessarily for 1 full minute at a time, and I might have walked through some jogging sections all together.  But that's okay, I'll get there. Even if I need to repeat Week 1 next week.

Total time: 30 minutes
Distance: 1.78 miles
Pace: 16:39 min/mile
Calories burned: ~240 (I stated my HRM a little late)


Color Run, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment