Friday, May 11, 2012

Goals


Remember when you were a kid and Mom would make you a sandwich and whatever condiments were used ended up in a smiley face?

Yep, I just did that with my hand cream.  And I gotta say, it made me smile!


Anyway, moving to the topic at hand (ha, I'm punny today!): Goals.  I've got a few of them.  Have you ever heard of the SMART goal setting concept?  In short, the idea is that your goals should be:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timley

And not to brag or anything, but I'm really awesome at setting goals.  In the past, I haven't been so awesome at actually achieving my goals.  Why?  This can be applied across the board, whether I'm talking about weight loss goals, fitness goals, or business goals: I am not consistent.

That changes right now.  I have some new fitness and weight loss goals.  I have a discovered a new book.  Or rather, I have finally picked up a book that has been recommended to me by various weight loss friends over the years.  The book is The Beck Diet Solution by Dr. Judith Beck.  Dr. Beck guides you through making the mental and emotional changes necessary to succeed at weight loss and weight maintenance. She does this by setting up a 6 week program of 42 daily tasks to help you change your behaviors and though patterns.  (Bonus: The book cover is hot pink!I will begin Day 1 tomorrow so it lines up with my Weight Watcher's week.

I've also decided I'm going to run The Color Run in NYC in August.  I can't remember the last time I ran.  Well, I can't remember the last time I ran and wasn't trying to catch a bus.  In order to train myself and get ready for the 5K, I will be starting Couch to 5K (C25K) on Monday.  It's a 9 week program, but they suggest repeating weeks if you find it necessary.  I hope to be able to complete it within 12 weeks.  The race is in 14 weeks.  Why The Color Run?  Because it seems like fun!  And I've found a couple local boardie friends who might team up with me.  I have no idea if I'll be a runner at the end of this, if I'll enjoy running and want to continue and do more races.  I might, but I might also say "Well, now I can say I've run a 5K."  This particular goal is more about knowing I can do it rather than creating a life-long habit or hobby.  If it turns out I hate running, I won't ever have to do it again after this August.






No comments:

Post a Comment