Monday, November 14, 2011

Overload

Sensory overload, that is.

I think I'm giving up on OA for now.  I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't feel quite right.  I may end up there again.  I may end up finding alternative methods to deal with my emotions and issues.  We'll see.

I called several therapists last week, but I'm not having luck finding one that is a) accepting new patients or b) calling me back.  Excellent.  So I'll continue to work my way through Overcoming Overeating and writing about it here.

I've decided to continue to use the Weight Watchers e-tools for now, but I'm not following Weight Watchers.  I'm using the tracker to track my food using the Simply Filling Technique, but I'm only counting items that are trigger foods for me or if I feel I'm eating uncontrollably.  Basically, if I'm having a normal meal or snack, I'm tracking it but not counting points for non-filling foods.  If I'm eating something like candy, potato chips, cookies, fast food, things I would normally spin out of control over, I'm counting those points.

If you're unfamiliar with SFT, the general point is that you eat filling foods (WW provides a list of filling foods).  You eat to satisfaction.  You are given a set amount of points to use every week, plus activity points.  You only count points for items that are not on the filling foods list.  I've adapted this for my current needs.

So, I've refocused.  My current plan of attack:
  • Work through Overcoming Overeating
  • Focus on eating primarily real, whole foods
  • Keep a daily food journal
  • Count points for processed foods, junk foods, and trigger foods - stay within weekly allowance and activity points
  • Figure out why I want to eat before I eat.  If the reason isn't because I'm hungry or to prevent hunger (like, I'm not hungry just yet, but leaving the house for the next few hours, so I'd better eat something), then I need to find another way to spend my time.
So that's where I am at.  I will finish Chapter 2 of Overcoming Overeating and post my reactions by tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment