Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best.Christmas.Gift.EVER!!!

I'm in a challenge this month with some friends on the WW boards.  There's no specific goal.  Everyone creates their own personal goal(s) for the month.  We check in with each other for accountability.  My goal was to be binge free for all of December.  I wholly believe this is one of the reasons I have not binged in nearly a month. 

I started counting my binge free days after Thanksgiving, so I had a head start on December.  For the time being, I'm defining binge free as not giving in to the urge to eat excessively due to non-hunger feelings or emotions.  So there have been times I've eaten too much, but any time that I've felt the nagging desire to stuff my face to ease stress or the magnetic pull of my kitchen when I need comforting, I've not given in.  If I was actually hungry, I made a food plan, got just that, and stuck to it.  If I was not hungry, I stayed away from the food altogether.

It would go something like this:  I'd have a pretty normal day, but somewhere after 5, fatigue and apathy would set in.  (Alternatively, I'd have a rough day, and feel a lot of stress.)  I would get home and be compelled to either go to the grocery store and stock up on frozen pizza, or go to my kitchen and bake up a batch of cookies, or just clean out the leftovers (by disposing of them in my belly).  The voice in my head that was nudging me toward binging was loud.  Really, really loud.  It was difficult to hear any other thoughts, but somehow another voice broke through.  It was the collective voice of my boardie challengers who have been cheering me on and telling me how awesome I'm doing at remaining binge free.  And it would make me think about having to reset my count to 0, and how I am completely unwilling to do that.  And the only way to do that is to ignore the loud, obnoxious devil on my shoulder that's driving me to binge point.  Somehow, it's worked.  I think about having to report back that I cracked, and I don't want to do it.  So I stay on the couch, or I go to sleep, or a find something interesting on TV to watch or start playing games online.  (Ironically, my recent game of choice has been Let's Get Cooking...so I avoid binging by fake cooking.)

The other day, I reported to my lovely boardies that I was 20-some-odd days binge free.  After some quick math calculations, I realized that Day 30 will be Christmas Eve.  When I wake up Christmas morning, I will have a full 30 days, ONE WHOLE MONTH, of being binge free under my belt.  No offense to anyone who's ever given me a Christmas gift, but this by far takes the cake (what an awful expression for this occassion!) for the Best.Christmas.Gift.EVERRRR!!!

Thanks, Boardies, for keeping me in line. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment